Bible Reading Devotion for September 22, 2017
from the Revelation of John, Chapter 2 found at https://www.esv.org/Revelation+2/.*
by Pastor Jerry Ingalls
The first three chapters of Revelation may be the most preached and easiest applied of this apocalyptic book. God gave the Apostle John seven distinct messages for the local churches. In chapters 2 and 3, those messages are for the churches in Ephesus (2:1-7), Smyrna (2:8-11), Pergamum (2:12-17), Thyatira (2:18-29), Sardis (3:1-6), Philadelphia (3:7-13), and Laodicea (3:14-22). Like a majority of biblical preachers, I have enjoyed the challenge and joy of preaching a series of messages from the pulpit on the, “Seven Churches of Revelation.”
Built upon the intense study that goes into such teachings, today I am simply going to highlight how beautiful the descriptions of Jesus Christ are in each of these seven messages and why that is important to us in our everyday lives.
Listen to how Jesus reveals Himself to us in His own messages to the Seven Churches of Revelation:
- To Ephesus: “The words of Him who holds the seven stars in His right hand, who walks among the seven golden lampstands” (2:1).
- To Smyrna: “The words of the First and the Last, who died and came to life” (2:8).
- To Pergamum: “The words of Him who has the sharp two-edged sword (2:12).
- To Thyatira: “The words of the Son of God, who has eyes like a flame of fire, and whose feet are like burnished bronze” (2:18).
- To Sardis: “The words of Him who has the seven spirits of God and the seven stars” (3:1).
- To Philadelphia: “The words of the Holy One, and True One, who has the key of David, who opens and no one will shut, who shuts and no one opens” (3:7).
- To Laodicea: “The words of the Amen, the Faithful and True Witness, the Beginning of God’s creation” (3:14).
Do you want to be encouraged on how to live the victorious life that is so important to Jesus Christ?
Jesus gives us the key to conquering; to living the Victorious Life (a.k.a. the Abundant Life of John 10:10). The key is JESUS Himself! The key is not for you to decipher a secret meaning or special insight from the book of Revelation. Absolutely not! Victory only comes through the Victorious One!
Do you want to overcome? Do you want to conquer? Do you want to finish the race set before you so that you may receive the Victor’s Crown?
Jesus has not hidden Himself. He has unveiled Himself to us, not only in the Revelation of John, but throughout the Gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John. Jesus revealed Himself to the Apostle Paul and then Paul taught us through 13 letters who He is and how to live for Him. Jesus revealed Himself to the early Church as recorded in the Acts of the Holy Spirit and throughout the letters of Hebrews, James, Peter, John, and Jude.
Do you know Jesus? He has made Himself known; He wants you to know Him.
He is still revealing Himself to people today.
*Scripture taken from The Holy Bible, English Standard Version. Copyright ©2001 by Crossway Bibles, a publishing ministry of Good News Publishers. Used by permission. All rights reserved. Text provided by the Crossway Bibles Web Service.